2016 Utah Code
Title 35A - Utah Workforce Services Code
Chapter 13 - Utah State Office of Rehabilitation Act
Part 3 - Governor's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities
Section 302 - Governor's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities.
35A-13-302. Governor's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities.
- (1) There is created the Governor's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities, composed of the following 15 members:
- (a) the director of the office;
- (b) the state superintendent of public instruction or the superintendent's designee;
- (c) the commissioner of higher education or the commissioner's designee;
- (d) the executive director of the Department of Human Resource Management or the executive director's designee;
- (e) the executive director of the Department of Human Services or the executive director's designee;
- (f) the executive director of the Department of Health or the executive director's designee; and
- (g) the following nine members appointed by the governor:
- (i) a representative of individuals who are blind or visually impaired;
- (ii) a representative of individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing;
- (iii) a representative of individuals who have disabilities;
- (iv) three representatives of business or industry;
- (v) a representative experienced in job training and placement;
- (vi) a representative of veterans; and
- (vii) a representative experienced in medical, health, or insurance professions.
- (i) Except as provided in Subsection (2)(a)(ii), the governor shall appoint the committee members described in Subsection (1)(g) to serve four-year terms.
- (ii) In making the initial appointments to the committee, the governor shall appoint approximately one-half of the members to two-year terms and one-half of the members to four-year terms.
- (b) Committee members shall serve until their successors are appointed and qualified.
- (c) The governor shall fill any vacancy that occurs on the committee for any reason by appointing a person according to the procedures of this section for the unexpired term of the vacated member.
- (d) The director of the office shall select a chair of the committee from the membership.
- (e) Eight members of the committee are a quorum for the transaction of business.
- (a) The committee shall:
- (i) promote employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities;
- (ii) serve as the designated state liaison to the President's Committee on Employment of People with Disabilities;
- (iii) provide training and technical assistance to employers in implementing the Americans with Disabilities Act;
- (iv) develop and disseminate appropriate information through workshops, meetings, and other requests in response to needs to employers and others regarding employment of individuals with disabilities;
- (v) establish contacts with various community representatives to identify and resolve barriers to full participation in employment and community life;
- (vi) formally recognize exemplary contributions in the areas of employment, job placement, training, rehabilitation, support services, medicine, media or public relations, and personal achievements made by individuals with disabilities;
- (vii) advise, encourage, and motivate individuals with disabilities who are preparing for or seeking employment to reach their full potential as qualified employees;
- (viii) advocate for policies and practices that promote full and equal rights for individuals with disabilities;
- (ix) advise the office, the department, and the governor on issues that affect employment and other requests for information on disability issues; and
- (x) prepare an annual report on the progress, accomplishments, and future goals of the committee and present the report to the department for inclusion in the department's annual report described in Section 35A-1-109.
- (b) The committee may, by following the procedures and requirements of Title 63J, Chapter 5, Federal Funds Procedures Act, receive and accept federal funds, and may receive and accept state funds, private gifts, donations, and funds from any source to carry out its purposes.
- (a) The committee shall:
- (4) The office shall staff the committee.
Renumbered and Amended by Chapter 271, 2016 General Session
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Utah may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.