2006 Utah Code - 31A-29-103 — Definitions.31A-29-103. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Board" means the board of directors of the pool created in Section 31A-29-104.
(2) (a) "Creditable coverage" has the same meaning as provided in Section 31A-1-301.
(b) "Creditable coverage" does not include a period of time in which there is a significant break in coverage, as defined in Section 31A-1-301.
(3) "Domicile" means the place where an individual has a fixed and permanent home and principal establishment:
(a) to which the individual, if absent, intends to return; and
(b) in which the individual, and the individual's family voluntarily reside, not for a special or temporary purpose, but with the intention of making a permanent home.
(4) "Enrollee" means an individual who has met the eligibility requirements of the pool and is covered by a pool policy under this chapter.
(5) "Health care facility" means any entity providing health care services which is licensed under Title 26, Chapter 21, Health Care Facility Licensing and Inspection Act.
(6) "Health care provider" has the same meaning as provided in Section 78-14-3.
(7) "Health care services" means:
(a) any service or product:
(i) used in furnishing to any individual medical care or hospitalization; or
(ii) incidental to furnishing medical care or hospitalization; and
(b) any other service or product furnished for the purpose of preventing, alleviating, curing, or healing human illness or injury.
(8) (a) "Health insurance" means any:
(i) hospital and medical expense-incurred policy;
(ii) nonprofit health care service plan contract; or
(iii) health maintenance organization subscriber contract.
(b) "Health insurance" does not mean:
(i) any insurance arising out of Title 34A, Chapter 2 or 3, or similar law;
(ii) automobile medical payment insurance; or
(iii) insurance under which benefits are payable with or without regard to fault and which is required by law to be contained in any liability insurance policy.
(9) "Health maintenance organization" has the same meaning as provided in Section 31A-8-101.
(10) (a) "Health plan" means any arrangement by which an individual, including a dependent or spouse, covered or making application to be covered under the pool has:
(i) access to hospital and medical benefits or reimbursement including group or individual insurance or subscriber contract;
(ii) coverage through:
(A) a health maintenance organization;
(B) a preferred provider prepayment;
(C) group practice; or
(D) individual practice plan;
(iii) coverage under an uninsured arrangement of group or group-type contracts including employer self-insured, cost-plus, or other benefits methodologies not involving insurance;
(iv) coverage under a group type contract which is not available to the general public and
can be obtained only because of connection with a particular organization or group; and
(v) coverage by Medicare or other governmental benefit.
(b) "Health plan" includes coverage through health insurance.
(11) "HIPAA" means the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, Pub. L. 104-191, 110 Stat. 1936.
(12) "HIPAA eligible" means an individual who is eligible under the provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, Pub. L. 104-191, 110 Stat. 1936.
(13) "Insurer" means:
(a) an insurance company authorized to transact accident and health insurance business in this state;
(b) a health maintenance organization; and
(c) a self-insurer not subject to federal preemption.
(14) "Medicaid" means coverage under Title XIX of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. Sec. 1396 et seq., as amended.
(15) "Medicare" means coverage under both Part A and B of Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. 1395 et seq., as amended.
(16) "Plan of operation" means the plan developed by the board in accordance with Section 31A-29-105 and includes the articles, bylaws, and operating rules adopted by the board under Section 31A-29-106.
(17) "Pool" means the Utah Comprehensive Health Insurance Pool created in Section 31A-29-104.
(18) "Pool fund" means the Comprehensive Health Insurance Pool Enterprise Fund created in Section 31A-29-120.
(19) "Pool policy" means a health insurance policy issued under this chapter.
(20) "Preexisting condition" has the same meaning as defined in Section 31A-1-301.
(21) (a) "Resident" or "residency" means a person who is domiciled in this state.
(b) A resident retains residency if that resident leaves this state:
(i) to serve in the armed forces of the United States; or
(ii) for religious or educational purposes.
(22) "Third-party administrator" has the same meaning as provided in Section 31A-1-301.
Amended by Chapter 78, 2005 General Session
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Utah may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.