2016 US Code
Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure
Part I - Crimes
Chapter 77 - Peonage, Slavery, and Trafficking in Persons
Sec. 1594 - General provisions
|Citation||18 U.S.C. § 1594 (2016)|
|Section Name||§1594. General provisions|
(a) Whoever attempts to violate section 1581, 1583, 1584, 1589, 1590, or 1591 shall be punishable in the same manner as a completed violation of that section.
(b) Whoever conspires with another to violate section 1581, 1583, 1589, 1590, or 1592 shall be punished in the same manner as a completed violation of such section.
(c) Whoever conspires with another to violate section 1591 shall be fined under this title, imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both.
(d) The court, in imposing sentence on any person convicted of a violation of this chapter, shall order, in addition to any other sentence imposed and irrespective of any provision of State law, that such person shall forfeit to the United States—
(1) such person's interest in any property, real or personal, that was involved in, used, or intended to be used to commit or to facilitate the commission of such violation, and any property traceable to such property; and
(2) any property, real or personal, constituting or derived from, any proceeds that such person obtained, directly or indirectly, as a result of such violation, or any property traceable to such property.
(e)(1) The following shall be subject to forfeiture to the United States and no property right shall exist in them:
(A) Any property, real or personal, involved in, used, or intended to be used to commit or to facilitate the commission of any violation of this chapter, and any property traceable to such property.
(B) Any property, real or personal, which constitutes or is derived from proceeds traceable to any violation of this chapter.
(2) The provisions of chapter 46 of this title relating to civil forfeitures shall extend to any seizure or civil forfeiture under this subsection.
(f) Transfer of Forfeited Assets.—
(1) In general.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Attorney General shall transfer assets forfeited pursuant to this section, or the proceeds derived from the sale thereof, to satisfy victim restitution orders arising from violations of this chapter.
(2) Priority.—Transfers pursuant to paragraph (1) shall have priority over any other claims to the assets or their proceeds.
(3) Use of nonforfeited assets.—Transfers pursuant to paragraph (1) shall not reduce or otherwise mitigate the obligation of a person convicted of a violation of this chapter to satisfy the full amount of a restitution order through the use of non-forfeited assets or to reimburse the Attorney General for the value of assets or proceeds transferred under this subsection through the use of nonforfeited assets.
(g) Witness Protection.—Any violation of this chapter shall be considered an organized criminal activity or other serious offense for the purposes of application of chapter 224 (relating to witness protection).
(Added Pub. L. 106–386, div. A, §112(a)(2), Oct. 28, 2000, 114 Stat. 1489; amended Pub. L. 110–457, title II, §222(c), Dec. 23, 2008, 122 Stat. 5070; Pub. L. 114–22, title I, §105(a), May 29, 2015, 129 Stat. 236.)
2015—Subsec. (d)(1). Pub. L. 114–22, §105(a)(1)(A), substituted "that was involved in, used, or" for "that was used or" and inserted ", and any property traceable to such property" after "such violation".
Subsec. (d)(2). Pub. L. 114–22, §105(a)(1)(B), inserted ", or any property traceable to such property" after "such violation".
Subsec. (e)(1)(A). Pub. L. 114–22, §105(a)(2), substituted "involved in, used, or" for "used or" and inserted ", and any property traceable to such property" after "any violation of this chapter".
Subsecs. (f), (g). Pub. L. 114–22, §105(a)(3), (4), added subsec. (f) and redesignated former subsec. (f) as (g).
2008—Subsecs. (b) to (f). Pub. L. 110–457 added subsecs. (b) and (c) and redesignated former subsecs. (b) to (d) as (d) to (f), respectively.
|Publication Title||United States Code, 2012 Edition, Supplement 4, Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE|
|Category||Bills and Statutes|
|Collection||United States Code|
|SuDoc Class Number||Y 1.2/5:|
|Contained Within||Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 77 - PEONAGE, SLAVERY, AND TRAFFICKING IN PERSONS
Sec. 1594 - General provisions
|Laws In Effect As Of Date||January 6, 2017|
|Statutes at Large References||114 Stat. 1489
122 Stat. 5070
129 Stat. 236
|Public Law References||Public Law 106-386, Public Law 110-457, Public Law 114-22|