2015 US Code
Title 33 - Navigation and Navigable Waters (Sections 1 - 4009)
Chapter 28 - Pollution Casualties on the High Seas: United States Intervention (Sections 1471 - 1487)
Sec. 1471 - Definitions
|Publication Title||United States Code, 2012 Edition, Supplement 3, Title 33 - NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS|
|Category||Bills and Statutes|
|Collection||United States Code|
|SuDoc Class Number||Y 1.2/5:|
|Contained Within||Title 33 - NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS|
CHAPTER 28 - POLLUTION CASUALTIES ON THE HIGH SEAS: UNITED STATES INTERVENTION
Sec. 1471 - Definitions
|Laws In Effect As Of Date||January 3, 2016|
|Short Titles||'Intervention on the High Seas Act'."|
|Source Credit||Pub. L. 93-248, §2, Feb. 5, 1974, 88 Stat. 8; Pub. L. 95-302, §1(1), June 26, 1978, 92 Stat. 344.|
|Statutes at Large References||88 Stat. 8|
92 Stat. 344
|Public and Private Laws||Public Law 93-248, Public Law 95-302|
As used in this chapter—
(1) "a substance other than convention oil" means those oils, noxious substances, liquefied gases, and radioactive substances—
(A) enumerated in the protocol, or
(B) otherwise determined to be hazardous under section 1473(a) of this title;
(2) "convention" means the International Convention Relating to Intervention on the High Seas in Cases of Oil Pollution Casualties, 1969, including annexes thereto;
(3) "convention oil" means crude oil, fuel oil, diesel oil, and lubricating oil;
(4) "Secretary" means the Secretary of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating;
(5) "ship" means—
(A) a seagoing vessel of any type whatsoever, and
(B) any floating craft, except an installation or device engaged in the exploration and exploitation of the resources of the seabed and the ocean floor and the subsoil thereof;
(6) "protocol" means the Protocol Relating to Intervention on the High Seas in Cases of Marine Pollution by Substances Other Than Oil, 1973, including annexes thereto; and
(7) "United States" means the States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Canal Zone, Guam, American Samoa, the United States Virgin Islands, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas, and any other commonwealth, territory, or possession of the United States.
(Pub. L. 93–248, §2, Feb. 5, 1974, 88 Stat. 8; Pub. L. 95–302, §1(1), June 26, 1978, 92 Stat. 344.)
REFERENCES IN TEXT
For definition of Canal Zone, referred to in par. (7), see section 3602(b) of Title 22, Foreign Relations and Intercourse.
1978—Pub. L. 95–302 in cl. (1) substituted definition of "a substance other than convention oil" for definition of "ship", in cl. (2) substituted definition of "convention" for definition of "oil", in cl. (3) substituted definition of "convention oil" for definition of "convention", in cl. (5) substituted definition of "ship" for definition of "United States", and added cls. (6) and (7).
EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1978 AMENDMENT
For effective date of amendment by Pub. L. 95–302, see section 2 of Pub. L. 95–302, set out as a note under section 1487 of this title.
Pub. L. 93–248, §1, Feb. 5, 1974, 88 Stat. 8, provided: "That this Act [enacting this chapter] may be cited as the 'Intervention on the High Seas Act'."
TRANSFER OF FUNCTIONS
For transfer of authorities, functions, personnel, and assets of the Coast Guard, including the authorities and functions of the Secretary of Transportation relating thereto, to the Department of Homeland Security, and for treatment of related references, see sections 468(b), 551(d), 552(d), and 557 of Title 6, Domestic Security, and the Department of Homeland Security Reorganization Plan of November 25, 2002, as modified, set out as a note under section 542 of Title 6.
TERMINATION OF TRUST TERRITORY OF THE PACIFIC ISLANDS
For termination of Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, see note set out preceding section 1681 of Title 48, Territories and Insular Possessions.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. The United States Government Printing Office may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the US site. Please check official sources.