2011 US Code
Title 16 - Conservation
Chapter 89 - PACIFIC WHITING (§§ 7001 - 7010)
Section 7007 - Rulemaking
|Publication Title||United States Code, 2006 Edition, Supplement 5, Title 16 - CONSERVATION|
|Category||Bills and Statutes|
|Collection||United States Code|
|SuDoc Class Number||Y 1.2/5:|
|Contained Within||Title 16 - CONSERVATION |
CHAPTER 89 - PACIFIC WHITING
Sec. 7007 - Rulemaking
|Laws in Effect as of Date||January 3, 2012|
|Source Credit||Pub. L. 109-479, title VI, §608, Jan. 12, 2007, 120 Stat. 3647.|
|Statutes at Large References||90 Stat. 331 |
120 Stat. 3647
|Public Law References||Public Law 94-265, Public Law 109-479|
The Secretary shall establish the United States catch level for Pacific whiting according to the standards and procedures of the Agreement and this chapter rather than under the standards and procedures of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (16 U.S.C. 1801 et seq.), except to the extent necessary to address the rebuilding needs of other species. Except for establishing the catch level, all other aspects of Pacific whiting management shall be—
(1) subject to the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act; and
(2) consistent with this chapter.(b) Joint management committee recommendations
For any year in which both parties to the Agreement approve recommendations made by the joint management committee with respect to the catch level, the Secretary shall implement the approved recommendations. Any regulation promulgated by the Secretary to implement any such recommendation shall apply, as necessary, to all persons and all vessels subject to the jurisdiction of the United States wherever located.(c) Years with no approved catch recommendations
If the parties to the Agreement do not approve the joint management committee's recommendation with respect to the catch level for any year, the Secretary shall establish the total allowable catch for Pacific whiting for the United States catch. In establishing the total allowable catch under this subsection, the Secretary shall—
(1) take into account any recommendations from the Pacific Fishery Management Council, the joint management committee, the joint technical committee, the scientific review group, and the advisory panel;
(2) base the total allowable catch on the best scientific information available;
(3) use the default harvest rate set out in paragraph 1 of Article III of the Agreement unless the Secretary determines that the scientific evidence demonstrates that a different rate is necessary to sustain the offshore whiting resource; and
(4) establish the United State's 1 share of the total allowable catch based on paragraph 2 of Article III of the Agreement and make any adjustments necessary under section 5 of Article II of the Agreement.
(Pub. L. 109–479, title VI, §608, Jan. 12, 2007, 120 Stat. 3647.)References in Text
The Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, referred to in subsec. (a), is Pub. L. 94–265, Apr. 13, 1976, 90 Stat. 331, which is classified principally to chapter 38 (§1801 et seq.) of this title. For complete classification of this Act to the Code, see Short Title note set out under section 1801 of this title and Tables.
1 So in original.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. The United States Government Printing Office may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the US site. Please check official sources.