2021 Texas Statutes
Title 7 - Vehicles and Traffic
Subtitle C - Rules of the Road
Chapter 545 - Operation and Movement of Vehicles
Subchapter F. Special Stops and Speed Restrictions
Section 545.255. Moving Heavy Equipment at Railroad Grade Crossings
Sec. 545.255. MOVING HEAVY EQUIPMENT AT RAILROAD GRADE CROSSINGS. (a) This section applies only to:
(1) a crawler-type tractor, steam shovel, derrick, or roller; and
(2) any other equipment or structure with:
(A) a normal operating speed of 10 miles per hour or less; or
(B) a vertical body or load clearance of less than one-half inch per foot of the distance between two adjacent axles or less than nine inches measured above the level surface of a roadway.
(b) An operator of a vehicle or equipment may not move on or across a track at a railroad grade crossing unless the operator has given notice to a station agent of the railroad and given the railroad reasonable time to provide proper protection at the crossing.
(c) To move a vehicle or equipment on or across a track at a railroad grade crossing, the operator:
(1) shall stop the vehicle or equipment not closer than 15 feet or farther than 50 feet from the nearest rail of the railroad;
(2) while stopped, shall listen and look in both directions along the track for an approaching train or other on-track equipment and for signals indicating the approach of a train or other on-track equipment; and
(3) may not proceed until it is safe to cross the track.
(d) An operator of a vehicle or equipment may not cross a railroad grade crossing when warning of the immediate approach of a railroad car, train, or other on-track equipment is given by automatic signal, crossing gates, a flagger, or otherwise. If a flagger is provided by the railroad, the operator shall move the vehicle or equipment over the crossing at the flagger's direction.
(e) An offense under this section is punishable by a fine of not less than $50 or more than $200.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 30.107(e), eff. Sept. 1, 1997.
Acts 2021, 87th Leg., R.S., Ch. 128 (H.B. 1759), Sec. 7, eff. September 1, 2021.