2021 Texas Statutes
Title 7 - Vehicles and Traffic
Subtitle C - Rules of the Road
Chapter 545 - Operation and Movement of Vehicles
Subchapter F. Special Stops and Speed Restrictions
Section 545.2535. School Buses to Stop at All Railroad Grade Crossings
Sec. 545.2535. SCHOOL BUSES TO STOP AT ALL RAILROAD GRADE CROSSINGS. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (c), the operator of a school bus, before crossing a track at a railroad grade crossing:
(1) shall stop the vehicle not closer than 15 feet or farther than 50 feet from the track;
(2) while stopped, shall listen and look in both directions along the track for an approaching train or other on-track equipment and signals indicating the approach of a train or other on-track equipment; and
(3) may not proceed until it is safe to do so.
(b) After stopping as required by Subsection (a), the operator may proceed in a gear that permits the vehicle to complete the crossing without a change of gears. The operator may not shift gears while crossing the track.
(c) An operator is not required to stop at:
(1) an abandoned railroad grade crossing that is marked with a sign reading "tracks out of service"; or
(2) an industrial or spur line railroad grade crossing that is marked with a sign reading "exempt."
(d) A sign under Subsection (c) may be erected only by or with the consent of the appropriate state or local governmental official.
Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1061, Sec. 16, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1438, Sec. 11, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.
Acts 2021, 87th Leg., R.S., Ch. 128 (H.B. 1759), Sec. 5, eff. September 1, 2021.