2019 Texas Statutes
Title 7 - Vehicles and Traffic
Subtitle C - Rules of the Road
Chapter 545 - Operation and Movement of Vehicles
Subchapter I. Miscellaneous Rules
Section 545.401. Reckless Driving; Offense
Sec. 545.401. RECKLESS DRIVING; OFFENSE. (a) A person commits an offense if the person drives a vehicle in wilful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.
(b) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by:
(1) a fine not to exceed $200;
(2) confinement in county jail for not more than 30 days; or
(3) both the fine and the confinement.
(c) Notwithstanding Section 542.001, this section applies to:
(1) a private access way or parking area provided for a client or patron by a business, other than a private residential property or the property of a garage or parking lot for which a charge is made for the storing or parking of motor vehicles; and
(2) a highway or other public place.
(d) Notwithstanding Section 542.004, this section applies to a person, a team, or motor vehicles and other equipment engaged in work on a highway surface.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.