2021 Tennessee Code
Title 55 - Motor and Other Vehicles
Chapter 8 - Operation of Vehicles — Rules of the Road
Part 2 - Operation of Vehicles — Rules of the Road — Continued
§ 55-8-201. Operation of a Platoon
- A person may operate a platoon on the streets and highways of this state after the person provides notification to the department of transportation and the department of safety. The notification provided pursuant to this subsection (a) must include a plan for general platoon operations.
- If the notification and the plan submitted pursuant to subsection (a) are not rejected by either the department of transportation or the department of safety within thirty (30) days after receipt of the notification and the plan, the person may operate a platoon on the streets and highways of this state.
- For purposes of a platoon operating pursuant to this section:
- Vehicles in the platoon are not a caravan or motorcade;
- The lead vehicle in the platoon is not drawing any subsequent vehicle in the platoon; and
- If the platoon includes a commercial motor vehicle, an appropriately endorsed driver who holds a valid commercial driver license must be present behind the wheel of each commercial motor vehicle in the platoon.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.