Go to previous versions of this Section
2021 Tennessee Code
Title 55 - Motor and Other Vehicles
Chapter 10 - Accidents, Crimes and Penalties
Part 1 - Accidents
§ 55-10-107. Written Report of Accident
Universal Citation: TN Code § 55-10-107 (2021)
- The driver of a vehicle that is in any manner involved in an accident resulting in bodily injury to or death to any person, or in which damage to the property of any one (1) person, including the driver's, in excess of one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500) is sustained, shall within twenty (20) days after the accident, forward a written report of the accident to the department of safety; provided, that persons making written reports to the department pursuant to § 55-12-104 shall not be required to make any additional report pursuant to this section, § 55-10-109 or § 55-10-111.
- If an accident results in damage to state or local government property in excess of four hundred dollars ($400), then the driver of the vehicle involved in the accident shall file a written report in accordance with subdivision (a)(1).
- The requirements in subsection (a) shall apply to accidents occurring upon highways and the premises of any shopping center, trailer park or any apartment house complex, or any other premises that are generally frequented by the public at large.
- Written reports prepared pursuant to this section shall include information pertaining to the insurance policy, including the name of the insurer, of the driver and of the owner of the vehicle. If the driver and the owner have a certificate of compliance with the Tennessee Financial Responsibility Law of 1977, compiled in chapter 12 of this title, issued by the commissioner of safety, a copy of the certificate shall be included in the written notice.
- With respect to an ADS-operated vehicle, as defined by § 55-30-102, the written reports required under subsection (a) must be completed by the vehicle's owner.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.