Go to previous versions of this Section
2021 Tennessee Code
Title 50 - Employer and Employee
Chapter 1 - Employment Relationship and Practices
Part 9 - Exclusive Bargaining Representative
§ 50-1-901. Designating an Exclusive Bargaining Representative
Universal Citation: TN Code § 50-1-901 (2021)
- All employees and employers in this state, when seeking to designate an exclusive bargaining representative through an election permitted by state or federal law, have the right to make such designation by secret ballot, when secret ballot is permitted by such law; under such circumstances, no alternative means of designation shall be used in this state as convincing evidence of employee majority support.
- Any agreement, understanding, or practice, written or oral, implied or expressed, between any labor organization and an employer that violates the rights of employees as guaranteed by this section shall be null and void.
- This section shall not apply to employee representation agreements:
- Entered into prior to July 1, 2011; or
- Involving both employees within and without this state when the employer conducted business within this state prior to July 1, 2011.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.