There is a newer version of this Section
2020 Tennessee Code
Title 8 - Public Officers and Employees
Chapter 30 - State Service
Part 1 - General Provisions
§ 8-30-108. Board of Appeals
Universal Citation: TN Code § 8-30-108 (2020)
- There is created and established in the department of human resources a board of appeals. The board shall be comprised of a minimum of nine (9) members and a maximum of eighteen (18) members, in the discretion of the commissioner.
- The members of the board of appeals shall be citizens of the state. No member of the board of appeals shall be a member of any state or national committee of a political party or shall hold or be a candidate for any public office.
- The governor shall appoint the members of the board of appeals from the public at large, and shall strive to appoint members that reflect the geographic, racial, and gender diversity of the state population.
- Members appointed pursuant to Chapter 800 of the Public Acts of 2012, and serving on March 1, 2014, shall continue to serve until the expiration of such members' terms and, thereafter, persons shall be appointed in accordance with subsection (a) for a term ending six (6) years from the date of the expiration of the term for which the members' predecessors were appointed.
- If the commissioner determines that additional members shall be appointed to serve on the board in accordance with Chapter 689 of the Public Acts of 2014, then the governor shall appoint such members to serve initial terms of six (6) years. Thereafter, such members shall be appointed for a term ending six (6) years from the date of the expiration of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed.
- A person appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration of such term shall, however, be appointed for only the remainder of the unexpired term.
- The governor may remove a member of the board of appeals for cause. Removal for cause may include, but is not limited to, three (3) consecutive absences from a meeting of the board of appeals.
- The commissioner shall establish the compensation for the members of the board of appeals. The members shall be entitled to reimbursement for reasonable necessary travel expenses in accordance with the state comprehensive travel regulations promulgated by the department of finance and administration and approved by the attorney general and reporter.
- The board of appeals shall elect one (1) of its members as chair. The board of appeals shall meet at least once every three (3) months and at such other times as shall be specified by call of the chair, the commissioner of human resources, or the governor. Notice of each meeting shall be given in writing to each member by the commissioner, and such notice shall specify the place and the time of the meeting. Three (3) members shall constitute a quorum.
- In addition to the duties expressly imposed upon the board of appeals elsewhere in this chapter, the board of appeals shall have jurisdiction to hear appeals brought pursuant to this chapter and regulations promulgated pursuant thereto. The board of appeals shall also be the final step in the appeals procedure provided for preferred service employees.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.