There is a newer version of this Section
2020 Tennessee Code
Title 49 - Education
Chapter 6 - Elementary and Secondary Education
Part 21 - Transportation
§ 49-6-2118. Policies and Procedures for Students Exiting School Bus at Stop Other Than Regular Bus Stop — Bus Drivers' Responsibilities — Unruly Students
Universal Citation: TN Code § 49-6-2118 (2020)
- Each LEA shall adopt policies and procedures for transportation of students that include policies and procedures concerning the exiting of a school bus by a student at a point other than the student's destination for the trip. The policies and procedures shall at least require that a student whom a parent or guardian desires to exit a school bus at a destination other than the student's regular bus stop on the student's return bus route after dismissal of school shall provide the bus driver with a signed note from the parent or guardian informing the driver of the change in the student's bus stop for that day. The driver shall be required to turn the signed note over to the student's school principal or other school authority as soon as practicable after completion of the route.
- An LEA may adopt more stringent policies and procedures than the requirements of subdivision (a)(1) with respect to a student's exiting the bus at a point other than the student's regular bus stop, including a policy that does not permit a student to exit at a point other than the student's regular bus stop.
- Each LEA, prior to the beginning of each school year or upon hire of a school bus driver during the school year, shall assure that every school bus driver knows and understands the LEA's policies and procedures concerning transportation, including, but not limited to, bus drivers' responsibilities and duties with regard to a student exiting a bus at a point other than the student's destination for the trip.
- No school bus driver shall require or permit a student to exit a bus in violation of the LEA's policies and procedures. However, nothing in this section shall prevent an LEA from adopting policies and procedures for management of unruly students on school buses, including the ejection of a student when necessary for the safety of other student passengers or the bus driver; provided, that the driver secures the safety of that student for the uncompleted trip. The director of schools shall immediately review the fitness to drive of a school bus driver who permits or requires a student to exit a bus in violation of the LEA's policies and procedures.
- A driver shall report to school authorities as soon as possible, but no later than the end of the route, any student refusing to obey the driver and exiting the bus without the driver's permission at a point other than the student's destination for that trip.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.