There is a newer version of this Section
2020 Tennessee Code
Title 49 - Education
Chapter 6 - Elementary and Secondary Education
Part 21 - Transportation
§ 49-6-2116. Transportation Supervisor — Transportation Policy Relative to Safe Transport of Students
Universal Citation: TN Code § 49-6-2116 (2020)
- Each local board of education (LEA) and charter school, and charter management organization as applicable, that provides or contracts for transportation services shall appoint a transportation supervisor responsible for the monitoring and oversight of transportation services for the district or school.
- Each transportation supervisor shall complete a student transportation management training program developed jointly by the departments of safety and education upon being appointed and, thereafter, shall complete a minimum of four (4) hours of annual training approved by those departments; provided, that the annual training shall not be required in the same year the management training program is completed.
- By February 15, 2018, each LEA and charter school, and charter management organization as applicable, shall submit to the department of education the name of the transportation supervisor. By August 15 of each school year thereafter, each LEA and charter school, and charter management organization as applicable, shall submit to the department the name of the transportation supervisor and verification that the transportation supervisor has completed the training required under subsection (b). The department must be promptly notified of any change in transportation supervisor that occurs during the school year.
- Every LEA and charter school governing body shall adopt a transportation policy relative to the safe transport of students. This policy shall include:
- A procedure for students, parents, teachers and staff, and the community to report school bus safety complaints;
- A procedure for the transportation supervisor to investigate any complaint of a safety violation or concern, such that:
- The investigation is commenced within twenty-four (24) hours of receipt;
- Within forty-eight (48) hours of receipt of a complaint, a preliminary report is issued to the director of schools that includes the time and date of receipt of the complaint, a copy or summary of the complaint, the school bus driver involved, and any prior complaints or disciplinary actions taken against the driver; and
- Within sixty (60) school days of receipt of a complaint, a final report is issued to the director of schools in writing that includes any findings of the investigation and any action taken by the transportation supervisor in response to the complaint;
- A requirement that each school bus serving the district or charter school be equipped with the phone number for reporting complaints on the rear bumper;
- A process to provide annual notice to students and parents regarding the process for reporting complaints; and
- A policy or procedure for the collection and maintenance of the following records, regardless of whether transportation services are provided directly by the LEA or charter school or via contractual agreement as authorized under § 49-6-2101(d):
- Bus maintenance and inspections;
- Bus driver credentials, including required background checks, health records, and performance reviews;
- Driver training records; and
- Complaints received and any records related to the investigation of those complaints.
- As part of its responsibilities related to student transportation, the department of education shall, at a minimum:
- Develop and deliver, in collaboration with the department of safety, the student transportation management training program required under subsection (b);
- Establish, in collaboration with the department of safety, a system for monitoring district and charter school compliance with all applicable state and federal laws regarding student transportation services; and
- Prepare, in collaboration with the department of safety, and annually update and disseminate guidelines on best practices for the management of student transportation services.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.