2019 Tennessee Code
Title 55 - Motor and Other Vehicles
Chapter 8 - Operation of Vehicles — Rules of the Road
Part 1 - Operation of Vehicles — Rules of the Road
§ 55-8-109. Obedience to any required traffic-control device.

Universal Citation: TN Code § 55-8-109 (2019)
  • (a) The driver of any vehicle and the operator of any streetcar shall obey the instructions of any official traffic-control device applicable thereto placed in accordance with this chapter and chapter 10, parts 1-5 of this title, unless otherwise directed by a traffic or police officer, subject to the exceptions granted the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle in this chapter.

  • (b)

    • (1) No provision of this chapter for which signs are required shall be enforced against an alleged violator if at the time and place of the alleged violation an official sign is not in proper position and sufficiently legible to be seen by an ordinarily observant person.

    • (2) Whenever a particular section does not state that signs are required, that section shall be effective even though no signs are erected or in place.

  • (c) For purposes of this section, “traffic or police officer” means every officer authorized to direct or regulate traffic or to make arrests for violations of traffic regulations or a person licensed under title 62, chapter 35, who is retired in good standing from being a commissioned, POST-certified law enforcement officer and who has notified the chief law enforcement officer in the jurisdiction where the retired officer will be directing or regulating traffic at least twenty-four (24) hours in advance, or as soon as possible in the event of an emergency, prior to performing traffic control functions in such jurisdiction.

  • (d) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.