2018 Tennessee Code
Title 55 - Motor and Other Vehicles
Chapter 8 - Operation of Vehicles -- Rules of the Road
Part 2 - Operation of Vehicles -- Rules of the Road -- Continued
§ 55-8-202. Motor vehicles equipped with autonomous technology.
(a) No political subdivision may by ordinance, resolution, or any other means prohibit within the jurisdictional boundaries of the political subdivision the use of a motor vehicle equipped with autonomous technology if the motor vehicle otherwise complies with all safety regulations of the political subdivision.
(1) "Autonomous technology" means technology installed on a motor vehicle that has the capability to drive the vehicle on which the technology is installed in high or full automation mode, without any supervision by a human operator, with specific driving mode performance by the automated driving system of all aspects of the dynamic driving task that can be managed by a human driver, including the ability to automatically bring the motor vehicle into a minimal risk condition in the event of a critical vehicle or system failure or other emergency event;
(2) "Driving mode" means a type of driving scenario with characteristic dynamic driving task requirements including, but not limited to, the following:
(A) Expressway merging;
(B) High speed cruising;
(C) Low speed traffic jam; and
(D) Closed-campus operations;
(3) "Dynamic driving task" means the operational and tactical aspects of the driving task, but does not include the strategic aspect of the driving task;
(4) "Operational" means steering, braking, accelerating, and monitoring the vehicle and roadway;
(5) "Strategic" means determining destinations and waypoints; and
(6) "Tactical" includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(A) Responding to events; and
(B) Determining when to change lanes, turn, or use signals.