2018 Tennessee Code
Title 50 - Employer and Employee
Chapter 5 - Child Labor
Part 2 - Tennessee Protection of Minor Performers Act
§ 50-5-216. Custody of minor -- Contents of petition.
(a) A parent, guardian, or legal custodian entitled to the physical custody, care, and control of a minor who enters into a contract of a type described in this part shall provide a certified copy of the minor's birth certificate indicating the minor's minority to the other party or parties to the contract.
(b) A guardian or a person with temporary legal custody must provide a certified copy of the court document appointing the person as the minor's legal guardian.
(c) A complete copy of the contract or proposed contract shall be attached to the petition. The petition shall also include the following information:
(1) The full name, residence, and date of birth of the minor;
(2) The name and residence of any living parent of the minor, the name and residence of the person who has care and custody of the minor, and the name and residence of the person with whom the minor resides;
(3) A statement that the minor is a resident of the state. If the minor is not a Tennessee resident, a statement that the petition is for approval of a contract for performance or rendering of services by the minor in the state, specifying the place in the state where the services are to be performed or rendered;
(4) A brief description of the minor's employment and compensation under the contract, including where services of the minor are to be performed, accompanied by a plan for the protection of the minor's earnings under the contract;
(5) The full name and residence of the petitioner, and the interest of the petitioner in the contract or proposed contract or in the minor's performance under the contract; and
(6) Other facts known by the petitioner regarding the minor and the minor's family and property that will show that the contract is reasonable, prudent, and in the best interests of the minor. The information shall include whether the minor has had at any time a guardian ad litem appointed by a court of any jurisdiction and an explanation of the facts regarding the previous appointment. Information regarding whether relief similar to the current petition has been sought on behalf of the minor, including whether a guardian ad litem was appointed for the previous application for court approval.
(d) Upon application by any party or by order of the court, the petition or any portion of the petition, including attachments, may be filed under seal.