2018 Tennessee Code
Title 44 - Animals and Animal Husbandry
Chapter 19 - Dairy Industry Promotion Act
§ 44-19-103. Chapter definitions.
- As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of agriculture;
(2) "Department" means the department of agriculture;
(3) "Handler" or "dealer" means any person, including any distributor, processor, bulk handler, or operator of a store, who purchases or receives on consignment or otherwise, milk or milk products of every kind and description, within the state, for sale, shipment, storage, processing or manufacture;
(4) "Milk" means milk from cows and all of its natural components, sweet cream, sour cream, skim milk, flavored milk, buttermilk, condensed or concentrated, whole, low fat, or skim milk for use in milk products of every kind and description;
(5) "Person" means any individual, corporation, partnership, association, cooperative or other business entity;
(6) "Processor" means any person engaged in the business of processing milk and other materials into milk products of every kind and description;
(7) "Producer" means every person in the state of Tennessee who produces milk or cream from cows and thereafter causes the same to be marketed as milk, cream or other milk and dairy products who has been issued and possesses a valid current producer's permit or certification, issued by the department;
(8) "Purchaser" means any handler, dealer or processor who purchases or receives milk and milk products from producers on a commercial basis;
(9) "Referendum" means any voting procedure under which affected producers may, by secret ballot, vote for or against an assessment authorized by this chapter;
(10) "Tennessee dairy promotion committee" means a statewide committee appointed by the commissioner established pursuant to this chapter; and
(11) "Vote" means to cast a ballot in a referendum.