2018 Tennessee Code
Title 39 - Criminal Offenses
Chapter 16 - Offenses Against Administration of Government
Part 1 - Bribery
§ 39-16-102. Bribery of public servant.
(a) A person commits an offense who:
(1) Offers, confers, or agrees to confer any pecuniary benefit upon a public servant with the intent to influence the public servant's vote, opinion, judgment, exercise of discretion or other action in the public servant's official capacity; or
(2) While a public servant, solicits, accepts or agrees to accept any pecuniary benefit upon an agreement or understanding that the public servant's vote, opinion, judgment, exercise of discretion or other action as a public servant will thereby be influenced.
(1) It is no defense to prosecution under this section that the person sought to be influenced was not qualified to act in the desired way because the person had not yet assumed office, lacked jurisdiction, or for any other reason.
(2) It is no defense to prosecution under this section that the person who sought to influence a public official took action on behalf of a public or private organization or any other entity, for the purpose of organizing a campaign or for any other lawful purpose.
(1) Bribery of a public servant under subdivision (a)(1) is a Class B felony.
(2) A public servant accepting or agreeing to accept a bribe under subdivision (a)(2) is a Class B felony.