There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Tennessee Code
Title 69 - Waters, Waterways, Drains and Levees
Chapter 7 - Water Management
Part 1 - Water Resources Division
§ 69-7-103. Specific powers and duties of director.
Universal Citation: TN Code § 69-7-103 (2017)
- The powers and duties of the director of water resources division under the direction of the commissioner of environment and conservation include, among other things, the powers and duties to:
- (1) Establish, maintain, and publish, as directed by the commissioner, an accurate inventory of the state's water resources;
- (2) Determine, maintain and establish estimates of existing and future water use in the state;
- (3) Define and propose, if necessary, water control districts within the state in the light of the director's findings, and make engineering plans and surveys for improving the quantity of the water supply in such proposed water control districts;
- (4) Implement the basic water resource policy of the state by creating and defining the rights of respective competing users of the water resources of the state;
- (5) Perform all duties assigned to the director relating to the determination of the waters that should be reserved for general public purposes, including navigation, sanitation, recreation, maintenance of fish and aquatic life, the maintenance of unusual scenic features and other public purposes;
- (6) Determine the feasibility of proposed dams and water diversion structures to conserve the basic water resources of the state and review and recommend plans for any such proposed dams and diversion structures in any proposed water control districts; and
- (7) Perform any other duties required by the terms of this part, or as may reasonably be required by the commissioner and the commission in relation to this part.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.