2017 Tennessee Code
Title 66 - Property
Chapter 31 - Self-Service Storage Facility Act
§ 66-31-102. Chapter definitions.
- As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
- (1) "Default" means the failure timely to perform any obligation or duty set forth in this chapter and the rental agreement;
- (2) "Division" means the wildlife resources agency in the case of motorized watercraft and the department of revenue, taxpayer and vehicle services division in the case of all other vehicles;
- (3) "Last known address" means for notification purposes the street address, post office box, or electronic mail address provided by the occupant in the latest rental agreement or in a subsequent written notice of a change of address provided by the occupant;
- (4) "Leased space" means the storage space or spaces at the self-service storage facility that are leased or rented to an occupant pursuant to a rental agreement;
- (5) "Occupant" means a person, or a sublessee, successor, or assign of such person, entitled to the use of leased space at a self-service storage facility under a rental agreement, to the exclusion of others;
- (6) "Owner" means the owner, operator, lessor, or sublessor of a self-service storage facility, the agent of such person, or any person authorized by such person to manage the facility or to receive rent from an occupant under a rental agreement. "Owner" shall not be construed to be a warehouse as defined in § 47-7-102; provided, that if an owner shall issue any warehouse receipt, bill of lading or other document of title for the personal property stored, the owner and occupant shall be subject to title 47, chapter 7, and this chapter shall not apply;
- (7) "Personal property" means movable property not affixed to land and includes, but is not limited to, goods, wares, merchandise, household items, and vehicles;
- (8) "Rental agreement" means any agreement or lease, written or oral, that establishes or modifies the terms, conditions, rules, or any other provisions concerning the use and occupancy of leased space at a self-service storage facility;
- (9) "Self-service storage facility" means any real property designed and used for the purpose of renting or leasing storage space to occupants who are to have access to such space for the purpose of storing and removing personal property; provided, however, that "self-service storage facility" does not include any part of the real property used for residential purposes;
- (10) "Vehicle" means a motor vehicle, a trailer, or a semitrailer as defined in §§ 55-1-103 and 55-1-105 and a vessel as defined in § 69-9-204; and
- (11) "Verified mail" means any method of mailing that is offered by the United States postal service and that provides evidence of mailing.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.