There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Tennessee Code
Title 55 - Motor and Other Vehicles
Chapter 8 - Operation of Vehicles -- Rules of the Road
Part 3 - Electric Bicycles
§ 55-8-305. Equipment requirements.
Universal Citation: TN Code § 55-8-305 (2017)
- (a) No electric bicycle shall be operated upon any street or highway unless the electric bicycle:
- (1) Complies with applicable equipment and manufacturing requirements for electric bicycles established by state and federal law, including federal standards adopted by the United States consumer product safety commission and compiled in 16 CFR part 1512; and
- (2) Is equipped in such a manner that the electric motor is disengaged or ceases to function when the brakes are applied, or that the electric motor is engaged through a switch or mechanism that, when released or activated, will cause the electric motor to disengage or cease to function.
- (b) No class 3 electric bicycle shall be operated upon any street or highway unless it is equipped with a speedometer that displays the speed the electric bicycle is traveling in miles per hour.
- (c) A person who knowingly operates an electric bicycle in violation of subsection (a) or (b) commits a Class C misdemeanor.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.