There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Tennessee Code
Title 55 - Motor and Other Vehicles
Chapter 7 - Size, Weight and Load
Part 2 - Weight and Length Specifications
§ 55-7-209. Special requirements for roof trusses.
Universal Citation: TN Code § 55-7-209 (2017)
- (a) Notwithstanding any other law, rule or regulation to the contrary, the commissioner of transportation shall prescribe by orders of general application, rules and regulations for the issuance and/or renewal of special permits for a period of one (1) year, for the transportation of manufactured roof trusses that are in excess of the width dimensions set forth in §§ 55-7-201 and 55-7-202.
- (b) These special permits for overdimensional manufactured roof trusses shall be subject to the following conditions:
- (1) For movements not exceeding ten feet (10') wide, no escort vehicle, special signs, lights and/or markings shall be required;
- (2) Movements over ten feet (10') wide but not exceeding twelve feet (12') wide:
- (A) No escort vehicle shall be required to accompany the movement on the interstate highway system, four (4) lane highways, or two (2) lane highways with a minimum pavement or roadway surface width of twenty-four feet (24');
- (B) One (1) escort vehicle shall be required to precede the movement where the minimum pavement or roadway surface width is less than twenty-four feet (24');
- (C) A flagperson shall be required at all bridge structures where the roadway width is less than twenty feet (20');
- (D) The front and rear of the movement shall be appropriately signed and marked; and
- (E) Escort vehicles shall be appropriately marked; and
- (3) Movements over twelve feet (12') wide but not exceeding fourteen feet (14') wide:
- (A) Front and rear escort vehicles shall be required on all two (2) lane highways. Front escort vehicles shall not be required on interstate highways or four (4) lane highways. Front and rear escort vehicles shall be required on interstate highways where two (2) lanes are traveled;
- (B) Towing vehicles and escort vehicles shall be so equipped as to be in radio communication at all times during movement;
- (C) The front and rear of the movement shall be appropriately signed and marked;
- (D) Escort vehicles shall be appropriately marked; and
- (E) Towing vehicles for fourteen feet (14') wide movements shall be at least fourteen feet six inches (14' 6") in length.
- (c) Compliance with the conditions specified in subdivisions (b)(2)(D) and (E) and (b)(3)(C) and (D) shall be in accordance with the rules and regulations of the department of transportation relative to overweight and overdimensional movements on Tennessee highways (Tenn. Comp. R. & Regs. ch. 1680-7-1).
- (d) Any conflict in the requirements relative to overlength movements, as established by statute, rule or regulation, and the requirements for overwidth movements of manufactured roof trusses established in this section, shall be resolved by applying the more stringent requirements.
- (e) The commissioner of transportation shall prescribe an annual fee for a special permit to transport overdimensional manufactured roof trusses. This annual fee shall be predicated upon the department's costs in enforcing this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.