There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Tennessee Code
Title 50 - Employer and Employee
Chapter 9 - Drug-Free Workplace Programs
§ 50-9-107. Testing subject to department of transportation procedures -- Verification -- Chain of custody procedures -- Costs -- Discrimination on grounds of voluntary treatment prohibited.
Universal Citation: TN Code § 50-9-107 (2017)
- (a) All specimen collection and testing for drugs and alcohol under this chapter shall be performed in accordance with the procedures provided for by the United States department of transportation rules for workplace drug and alcohol testing compiled at 49 CFR part 40.
- (b) A covered employer may not discharge, discipline, refuse to hire, discriminate against or request or require rehabilitation of an employee or job applicant on the sole basis of a positive test result that has not been verified by a confirmation test and by a medical review officer.
- (c) A covered employer that performs drug testing or specimen collection shall use chain-of-custody procedures established by regulations of the United States department of transportation or such other recognized authority approved by rule by the commissioner of labor and workforce development governing drug testing.
- (d) A covered employer shall pay the cost of all drug and alcohol tests, initial and confirmation, that the covered employer requires of employees. An employee or job applicant shall pay the costs of any additional drug or alcohol tests not required by the covered employer.
- (e) A covered employer shall not discharge, discipline or discriminate against an employee solely upon the employee's voluntarily seeking treatment, while under the employ of the covered employer, for a drug-related or alcohol-related problem if the employee has not previously tested positive for drug or alcohol use, entered an employee assistance program for drug-related or alcohol-related problems or entered a drug or alcohol rehabilitation program. Unless otherwise provided by a collective bargaining agreement, a covered employer may select the employee assistance program or drug or alcohol rehabilitation program if the covered employer pays the cost of the employee's participation in the program. However, nothing in this chapter is intended to require any employer to permit or provide a rehabilitation program.
- (f) If drug or alcohol testing is conducted based on reasonable suspicion, the covered employer shall promptly detail in writing the circumstances that formed the basis of the determination that reasonable suspicion existed to warrant the testing. A copy of this documentation shall be given to the employee upon request and the original documentation shall be kept confidential by the covered employer pursuant to § 50-9-109, and shall be retained by the covered employer for at least one (1) year.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.