2017 Tennessee Code
Title 49 - Education
Chapter 6 - Elementary and Secondary Education
Part 42 - School Security Act of 1981
§ 49-6-4215. Activities of criminal gangs on school property -- Promulgation of rules and regulations.
- (a) The LEAs of this state are authorized to promulgate and adopt rules and regulations to prohibit the activities of criminal gangs on school property. The rules and regulations may prohibit students in grades six through twelve (6-12) from:
- (1) Wearing, while on school property, any type of clothing, apparel or accessory that denotes the students' membership in or affiliation with any criminal gang;
- (2) Any activity that encourages participation in a criminal gang or facilitates illegal acts of a criminal gang; and
- (3) Any conduct that is seriously disruptive to the educational process or endangers persons or property.
- (b) The local law enforcement agency shall advise the local board, upon request, of criminal gangs and associated criminal gang activity.
- (c) As used in this section, "criminal gang" means a formal or informal ongoing organization, association or group consisting of three (3) or more persons that has:
- (1) As one (1) of its activities the commission of criminal acts; and
- (2) Two (2) or more members who, individually or collectively, engage in or have engaged in a pattern of criminal gang activity.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.