2017 Tennessee Code
Title 49 - Education
Chapter 10 - Special Education
Part 13 - Special Education Behavioral Supports Act
§ 49-10-1306. Records of isolation and restraint -- Reports -- Promulgation of rules and regulations.
- (a) Each school shall maintain all records of isolation and restraint.
- (b) On a semiannual basis, using existing student-level data collection systems to the extent feasible, each school shall submit a report to the local education agency that includes:
- (1) The number of incidents involving the use of isolation and restraint since the previous semiannual report;
- (2) The number of instances in which the school personnel imposing physical restraint or isolation were not trained and certified;
- (3) Any injuries, deaths, or property damage that occurred;
- (4) The timeliness of parental notification; and
- (5) Demographic information to determine whether disproportionate use of these interventions exists.
- (c) The local education agency shall use the information obtained from records of isolation and restraint in developing its behavior intervention training program.
- (d) The local education agency shall submit information to the department of education each year on the use of isolation and restraint in the school district.
- (e) Annually, this information shall be reported to the state advisory council for the education of students with disabilities established pursuant to § 49-10-105. This information must also be made readily available to the public. The council shall use this information to report annually to the state board of education with recommendations to reduce the use of isolation and restraint in public education programs. The state board of education shall use these recommendations as well as data, documentation and reports to establish policy or strategies or both to reduce or eliminate the use of isolation and restraint in schools.
- (f) The state board of education, in consultation with the departments of education, mental health and substance abuse services, intellectual and developmental disabilities, and children's services, shall promulgate rules and regulations concerning the use of isolation or restraint with students who receive special education services so that isolation or restraint is not used when such procedures are unsafe, unreasonable or unwarranted. The rules and regulations shall be promulgated in accordance with the Uniform Administrative Procedures Act, compiled in title 4, chapter 5.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.