2017 Tennessee Code
Title 48 - Corporations and Associations
Limited Liability Companies
Chapter 207 - Name
§ 48-207-103. Registered name.
- (a) Registration of Name. A foreign LLC may register its name, or an assumed name under which it transacts business, or its name with any addition pursuant to § 48-207-101(a), if the name is distinguishable upon the records of the secretary of state as required by § 48-207-101(b).
- (b) Process for Registration. A foreign LLC registers its name, or its assumed name, or its name with any addition pursuant to § 48-207-101(a), by delivering to the office of the secretary of state for filing an application:
- (1) Setting forth its name, its assumed name, or its name with any addition pursuant to § 48-207-101(a), the state or country and date of its organization, and a brief description of the nature of the business in which it is engaged; and
- (2) Accompanied by a certificate copy of existence (or a document of similar import) from the state or country of organization, which certificate shall bear a date of not more than one (1) month prior to the date the application is filed in this state.
- (c) Effective Date of Registration. The name is registered for the applicant's exclusive use upon the effective date of the application and until the end of the calendar year in which such registration occurs.
- (d) Renewal of Registered Name. A foreign LLC whose registration is effective may renew it for successive years by delivering to the office of the secretary of state for filing a renewal application, which complies with the requirements of subsection (b), between October 1 and December 31 of the preceding year. The renewal application renews the registration for the following calendar year.
- (e) Use of Registered Name. A foreign LLC whose registration is effective may thereafter qualify as a foreign LLC under that name or consent in writing to the use of that name by an LLC thereafter organized under this title or by another foreign LLC thereafter authorized to transact business in this state. The registration terminates when the domestic LLC is organized or the foreign LLC qualifies or consents to the qualification of another foreign LLC under the registered name.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.