There is a newer version of this Section
2017 Tennessee Code
Title 34 - Guardianship
Chapter 8 - Uniform Adult Guardianship and Protective Proceedings Jurisdiction Act
Part 3 - Transfer of Guardianship or Conservatorship
§ 34-8-302. Accepting guardianship or conservatorship transferred from another state.
Universal Citation: TN Code § 34-8-302 (2017)
- (a) To confirm transfer of a guardianship or conservatorship transferred to this state under provisions similar to § 34-8-301, the guardian or conservator must petition the court in this state to accept the guardianship or conservatorship. The petition must include a certified copy of the other state's provisional order of transfer.
- (b) Notice of a petition under subsection (a) must be given to those persons that would be entitled to notice if the petition were a petition for the appointment of a guardian or issuance of a protective order in both the transferring state and this state. The notice must be given in the same manner as notice is required to be given in this state.
- (c) On the court's own motion or on request of the guardian or conservator, the disabled or protected person or minor, or other person required to be notified of the proceeding, the court shall hold a hearing on a petition filed pursuant to subsection (a).
- (d) The court shall issue an order provisionally granting a petition filed under subsection (a) unless:
- (1) An objection is made and the objector establishes that transfer of the proceeding would be contrary to the interests of the disabled or protected person or minor; or
- (2) The guardian or conservator is ineligible for appointment in this state.
- (e) The court shall issue a final order accepting the proceeding and appointing the guardian or conservator as guardian or conservator in this state upon its receipt from the court from which the proceeding is being transferred of a final order issued under provisions similar to § 34-8-301 transferring the proceeding to this state.
- (f) Not later than ninety (90) days after issuance of a final order accepting transfer of a guardianship or conservatorship, the court shall determine whether the guardianship or conservatorship needs to be modified to conform to the law of this state.
- (g) In granting a petition under this section, the court shall recognize a guardianship or conservatorship order from the other state, including the determination of the disabled or protected person's incapacity and the appointment of the guardian or conservator.
- (h) The denial by a court of this state of a petition to accept a guardianship or conservatorship transferred from another state does not affect the ability of the guardian or conservator to seek appointment as guardian or conservator in this state under other chapters of this title if the court has jurisdiction to make an appointment other than by reason of the provisional order of transfer.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.