2017 Tennessee Code
Title 3 - Legislature
Chapter 7 - Fiscal Review Committee
§ 3-7-103. Purpose of committee -- Duties of committee and comptroller.
- (a) The purpose of the committee is to become knowledgeable about the fiscal affairs of the state and to use every means of imparting this knowledge to the members of the general assembly, it being the function of the committee to conduct a continuing review of such items as revenue collections, budget requests from the several spending agencies of the state, the recommended executive budget, appropriations, work programs, allotments, reserves, impoundments, the state debt, and the condition of the various state funds.
- (b) The fiscal review committee has the responsibility of preparing and distributing the fiscal note statements required in § 3-2-107.
- (c) The committee shall also call on the staff of the office of legal services, the office of legislative services [repealed], or the office of legislative administration of the general assembly for such advice or services as it may require.
- (1) The comptroller of the treasury shall make quarterly reports to the committee concerning the state's fiscal affairs, which reports shall concern such subjects and be of such scope and depth as the committee may direct.
- (2) The comptroller of the treasury shall also perform such other duties and furnish such other information or services from time to time as the committee or any subcommittee thereof shall direct.
- (e) In carrying out the responsibilities of the committee, the committee, any subcommittee thereof, the staff director, or the comptroller of the treasury shall call upon the department of finance and administration, the department of revenue, the department of the treasury, and other executive, legislative, and judicial departments and agencies of state government for such information as the committee desires, and it is the duty of such departments and agencies to furnish promptly the desired information upon request of the comptroller of the treasury, the staff director, the committee or any subcommittee thereof.
- (f) The committee, with the comptroller of the treasury and the commissioner of finance and administration, or appointed members of their respective staffs, shall review at least annually the organization and operation of state government in order to determine if changes need to be made.
- (g) The comptroller of the treasury may delegate certain responsibilities in connection with serving the committee to one (1) or more members of the staff of the comptroller of the treasury, but shall be responsible to the committee and shall be personally available to the committee upon its request.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.