2016 Tennessee Code
Title 49 - Education
Chapter 13 - Tennessee Public Charter Schools Act of 2002
§ 49-13-105. Statutes, rules and regulations.
(a) Public charter schools shall be part of the state program of public education.
(b) Except where waivers are otherwise prohibited in this chapter, the sponsor of a proposed public charter school may apply to either the chartering authority or to the commissioner of education for a waiver of any state board rule or statute that inhibits or hinders the proposed charter school's ability to meets its goals or comply with its mission statement. Neither the chartering authority nor the commissioner shall waive regulatory or statutory requirements related to:
(1) Federal and state civil rights;
(2) Federal, state, and local health and safety;
(3) Federal and state public records;
(5) Possession of weapons on school grounds;
(6) Background checks and fingerprinting of personnel;
(7) Federal and state special education services;
(8) Student due process;
(9) Parental rights;
(10) Federal and state student assessment and accountability;
(11) Open meetings; and
(12) At least the same equivalent time of instruction as required in regular public schools.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.