2015 Tennessee Code
Title 53 - Food, Drugs And Cosmetics
Chapter 1 - Tennessee Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act
Part 1 - General Provisions
§ 53-1-115 - Use of the name "catfish" -- Enforcement -- Rules and regulations -- Violations -- Penalties -- Hearing.
(a) (1) The term "catfish" shall not be used as a common name or brand name or used to advertise, distribute, or label any fish or fish product, except for those species within the definition of catfish set out in § 53-1-102.
(2) It is a violation of this section to use the term "catfish" in the advertisement, distribution, processing, labeling, or wholesale or retail sale of any of those species within the family of Siluridae, Clariidae and Pangasiidaae or any other species of fish not included within the definition of catfish set out in § 53-1-102.
(b) This section shall apply only to the advertisement, distribution, processing, labeling, or wholesale or retail sale of:
(1) Unprepared or packaged imported catfish and imported catfish products; and
(2) Unprepared or packaged fish and fish products described in subsection (a).
(c) The commissioner shall enforce the requirements of this section and is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations pursuant to the Uniform Administrative Procedures Act, compiled in title 4, chapter 5, to implement this section.
(d) In the event of a violation of this section, the commissioner is authorized to:
(1) Order the processor, distributor, wholesaler or retailer to cease the distribution or sale of imported catfish or imported catfish products that are not labeled or are labeled in violation of this section;
(2) Order the processor, distributor, wholesaler or retailer to cease the advertisement, distribution, labeling or sale of all other fish or fish products that are being advertised, distributed, labeled or sold in violation of this section;
(3) Seek injunctive relief to stop practices that are in violation of this section; and
(4) Order the processor, distributor, wholesaler or retailer to comply with this section or any rule or regulation promulgated pursuant to this section.
(e) Any person who violates this section shall be subject to a civil penalty of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) for each violation. Each day of continued violation constitutes a separate violation.
(f) Any person aggrieved by an order or civil penalty imposed by the commissioner shall be entitled to a hearing in accordance with the Uniform Administrative Procedures Act, compiled in title 4, chapter 5.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.