2015 Tennessee Code
Title 2 - Elections
Chapter 2 - Voter Registration
Part 1 - Registration by Election Commissions
§ 2-2-129 - Transfer of registration -- Procedure.
(a) A voter may transfer registration when such voter moves outside the precinct in which such voter is registered as follows:
(1) (A) If a voter has moved within the same county, the voter may transfer the registration either in person, by mail, facsimile transmission or by e-mail with an attached document that includes a scanned signature. The voter may request a form which reads substantially as follows:
Click here to view form
(B) If a voter does not use the form, the voter shall include in the request for transfer all of the information required by this subdivision (a)(1);
(2) If the voter moves outside the county, the voter may transfer by registering in the county of the voter's new residence; and
(3) To provide an additional means of initiating and effecting transfers of voter registration within the county of current registration, the commission shall provide the officer of elections at each polling place and the officials at each early voting site with the proper affidavits. Voters who have moved within the county of registration may vote under the provisions described in § 2-7-140 and simultaneously transfer their registration. The written affidavit completed by the voter shall serve as a transfer of registration form for the voter. The election commission shall also make available transfer of address forms for voters who may anticipate a move in the future.
(b) A county election commission may transfer registration when a voter moves outside the precinct in which such voter is registered as follows:
(1) If the county election commission uses change of address information supplied by the postal service to identify registered voters whose addresses may have changed; and
(2) If it appears from information provided by the postal service that:
(A) A registered voter has moved to a different address of residence within the same county, the administrator may change the registration records to show the new address and send the registered voter a forwardable audit notice of the change using the new address and a postage prepaid pre-addressed return form by which the voter may verify or correct the address information; or
(B) A registered voter has moved to an address of residence in a different county or moved without filing a change of address with the postal service, the administrator of elections may mail a forwardable confirmation notice to the registered voter pursuant to the procedures provided in § 2-2-106(c) and (d).
(c) If the voter returns the form or otherwise notifies the election commission in writing and indicates the address information provided by the postal service is incorrect, the voter's registration shall be updated to reflect the correct address of residence.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.