2014 Tennessee Code
Title 41 - Correctional Institutions and Inmates
Chapter 24 - Private Prison Contracting Act of 1986
§ 41-24-102 - Chapter definitions.
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of correction;
(2) "Correctional services" means the following functions, services and activities, when provided within a prison or otherwise:
(A) Education, training and jobs programs;
(B) Recreational, religious and other activities;
(C) Development and implementation assistance for classification, management information systems, or other information systems or services;
(D) Food services, commissary, medical services, transportation, sanitation or other ancillary services;
(E) Counseling, special treatment programs, or other programs for special needs;
(F) Operation of facilities other than transitional facilities, including management, custody of inmates, security, and other associated services and activities; and
(G) Operation of transitional facilities;
(3) "Department" means the department of correction;
(4) "Prison" or "facility" means any adult institution operated by or under the authority of the department;
(5) "Prison contractor" or "contractor" means any entity entering a contractual agreement with the commissioner to provide correctional services to inmates under the custody of the department;
(6) "TDOC liaison" means any person appointed by the commissioner to act as the commissioner's on-site designee so that powers and duties not delegable to the contractor shall be carried out with the authority of the state; and
(7) "Transitional facility" means any adult institution operated by a non-profit entity under the authority of the department providing short-term transitional services to offenders within one (1) year of release on parole or expiration of sentence, excluding offenders convicted of a sexual offense; provided, however, that the total number of such facilities statewide shall not exceed four (4), and that the total number of beds in such facilities statewide shall not exceed, collectively, one hundred fifty (150).
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.