2014 Tennessee Code
Title 28 - Limitation Of Actions
Chapter 3 - Limitation of Actions Other than Real
Part 1 - Miscellaneous Limitations
§ 28-3-104 - Personal tort actions; actions against certain professionals.
(a) The following actions shall be commenced within one (1) year after the cause of action accrued:
(1) Actions for libel, for injuries to the person, false imprisonment, malicious prosecution, breach of marriage promise;
(2) [Deleted by 2014 amendment, effective July 1, 2014.]
(3) Civil actions for compensatory or punitive damages, or both, brought under the federal civil rights statutes; and
(4) Actions for statutory penalties.
(b) For the purpose of this section, in products liability cases:
(1) The cause of action for injury to the person shall accrue on the date of the personal injury, not the date of the negligence or the sale of a product;
(2) No person shall be deprived of the right to maintain a cause of action until one (1) year from the date of the injury; and
(3) Under no circumstances shall the cause of action be barred before the person sustains an injury.
(c) (1) Actions and suits against licensed public accountants, certified public accountants, or attorneys for malpractice shall be commenced within one (1) year after the cause of action accrued, whether the action or suit is grounded or based in contract or tort.
(2) In no event shall any action or suit against a licensed public accountant, certified public accountant or attorney be brought more than five (5) years after the date on which the act or omission occurred, except where there is fraudulent concealment on the part of the defendant, in which case the action or suit shall be commenced within one (1) year after discovery that the cause of action exists.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.