2010 Tennessee Code
Title 49 - Education
Chapter 6 - Elementary and Secondary Education
Part 1 - Preschools
49-6-104 - Enrollment in pre-kindergarten programs for at risk children Requirements of programs.
49-6-104. Enrollment in pre-kindergarten programs for at risk children Requirements of programs.
(a) Each LEA is authorized to and may provide for enrollment in pre-kindergarten programs for any at risk child residing in the geographic area served by the LEA who is four (4) years of age on or before September 30. Any child may enroll in a program when an insufficient number of at risk children are enrolled to fill a specific classroom.
(b) Programs operated pursuant to § 49-6-103, this section and §§ 49-6-105 49-6-110 shall comply with the following requirements:
(1) A maximum class size of twenty (20);
(2) At least one (1) licensed teacher per classroom certified in early childhood education;
(3) At least one (1) educational assistant per classroom who holds a child development associate credential (CDA) or associate degree in early childhood education, or who is actively working toward acquiring such credentials; provided, however, that if no person with such credentials is available, then educational assistants who hold a high school diploma and have relevant experience working with children in pre-kindergarten or other early childhood programs may be employed;
(4) A daily minimum of five and one half (5 ½) hours of quality instructional time;
(5) Use of an educational, age-appropriate curriculum that is aligned with the state department of education approved early learning standards and that includes, but is not limited to, literacy, writing, math and science skills;
(6) A developmental learning program that addresses the cognitive, physical, emotional, social and communication areas of child development; and
(7) Rules promulgated and policies adopted by the state board of education related to early childhood education and pre-kindergarten programs.
[Acts 2005, ch. 312, § 1.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.