2010 Tennessee Code
Title 48 - Corporations And Associations
Chapter 23 - Dissenters' Rights
Part 1 - Right to Dissent and Obtain Payment for Shares
48-23-102 - Right to dissent.
48-23-102. Right to dissent.
(a) A shareholder is entitled to dissent from, and obtain payment of the fair value of the shareholder's shares in the event of, any of the following corporate actions:
(1) Consummation of a plan of merger to which the corporation is a party:
(A) If shareholder approval is required for the merger by § 48-21-104 or the charter and the shareholder is entitled to vote on the merger; or
(B) If the corporation is a subsidiary that is merged with its parent under § 48-21-105;
(2) Consummation of a plan of share exchange to which the corporation is a party as the corporation whose shares will be acquired, if the shareholder is entitled to vote on the plan;
(3) Consummation of a sale or exchange of all, or substantially all, of the property of the corporation other than in the usual and regular course of business, if the shareholder is entitled to vote on the sale or exchange, including a sale in dissolution, but not including a sale pursuant to court order or a sale for cash pursuant to a plan by which all or substantially all of the net proceeds of the sale will be distributed to the shareholders within one (1) year after the date of sale;
(4) An amendment of the charter that materially and adversely affects rights in respect of a dissenter's shares because it:
(A) Alters or abolishes a preferential right of the shares;
(B) Creates, alters, or abolishes a right in respect of redemption, including a provision respecting a sinking fund for the redemption or repurchase, of the shares;
(C) Alters or abolishes a preemptive right of the holder of the shares to acquire shares or other securities;
(D) Excludes or limits the right of the shares to vote on any matter, or to cumulate votes, other than a limitation by dilution through issuance of shares or other securities with similar voting rights; or
(E) Reduces the number of shares owned by the shareholder to a fraction of a share, if the fractional share is to be acquired for cash under § 48-16-104; or
(5) Any corporate action taken pursuant to a shareholder vote to the extent the charter, bylaws, or a resolution of the board of directors provides that voting or nonvoting shareholders are entitled to dissent and obtain payment for their shares.
(b) A shareholder entitled to dissent and obtain payment for the shareholder's shares under this chapter may not challenge the corporate action creating the shareholder's entitlement unless the action is unlawful or fraudulent with respect to the shareholder or the corporation.
(c) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a), no shareholder may dissent as to any shares of a security which, as of the date of the effectuation of the transaction which would otherwise give rise to dissenters' rights, is listed on an exchange registered under § 6 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, or is a national market system security, as defined in rules promulgated pursuant to the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended.
[Acts 1986, ch. 887, § 13.02.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.