2010 Tennessee Code
Title 47 - Commercial Instruments And Transactions
Chapter 25 - Trade Practices
Part 8 - Coupon Sales Promotions
47-25-802 - Definitions.
As used in this part, except where the context otherwise requires:
(1) Coupon means any writing, form, ticket, certificate, token, or similar device designed or intended to be sold or offered for sale which is represented as entitling the purchaser or holder to purchase or procure goods or services at a reduced price or free of charge upon presentation thereof to the seller or supplier of such goods or services. Coupon includes coupon book. Coupon does not include:
(A) Coupons sold or offered for sale directly by the coupon sponsor where all proceeds from the sale are returned to the sponsor;
(B) Coupons redeemable only for motor vehicle parking or urban mass transit privileges;
(C) Coupons published by or distributed through newspapers or other periodicals, in advertisements other than their own;
(D) Coupons within, attached to, or a part of any package or container as packed by the original manufacturer and which are redeemed by such manufacturer;
(E) Trading stamps; and
(F) Cents-off or free coupons authorized by the original manufacturer or retailer and distributed in any fashion;
(2) Coupon book means a group of two (2) or more coupons sold, offered for sale, or otherwise distributed as a single unit;
(3) Person means any individual, partnership, firm, corporation, association, or other business organization or entity, including charitable or nonprofit organizations and their officers and employees;
(4) Promoter means any person, and any agent or representative of such person, engaged in the sale or offering or solicitation for sale of coupons; and
(5) Sponsor means any person represented as being obligated to provide goods, services, or discount privileges to the purchaser or holder of a coupon.
[Acts 1980, ch. 718, § 2; T.C.A., § 69-902.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.