2010 Tennessee Code
Title 4 - State Government
Chapter 21 - Human Rights
Part 1 - General Provisions
4-21-101 - Purpose and intent.
4-21-101. Purpose and intent.
(a) It is the purpose and intent of the general assembly by this chapter to:
(1) Provide for execution within Tennessee of the policies embodied in the federal Civil Rights Acts of 1964, 1968 and 1972, the Pregnancy Amendment of 1978, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, as amended;
(2) Assure that Tennessee has appropriate legislation prohibiting discrimination in employment, public accommodations and housing sufficient to justify the deferral of cases by the federal equal employment opportunity commission, the department of housing and urban development, the secretary of labor and the department of justice under those statutes;
(3) Safeguard all individuals within the state from discrimination because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, age or national origin in connection with employment and public accommodations, and because of race, color, creed, religion, sex or national origin in connection with housing;
(4) Protect their interest in personal dignity and freedom from humiliation;
(5) Make available to the state their full productive capacity in employment;
(6) Secure the state against domestic strife and unrest that would menace its democratic institutions;
(7) Preserve the public safety, health and general welfare; and
(8) Further the interest, rights, opportunities and privileges of individuals within the state.
(b) The prohibitions in this chapter against discrimination because of age in connection with employment and public accommodations shall be limited to individuals who are at least forty (40) years of age.
[Acts 1978, ch. 748, § 2; T.C.A., § 4-2101; Acts 1980, ch. 732, §§ 1-4; 1984, ch. 1007, § 1; 1986, ch. 807, § 1; 1988, ch. 714, § 6.]
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Tennessee may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.