2021 South Dakota Codified Laws
Title 23A - Criminal Procedure
Chapter 35A - Interception Of Wire, Electronic, Or Oral Communications
- Section 23A-35A-1 - Definition of terms.
- Section 23A-35A-2 - Authorization or approval for interception of communications.
- Section 23A-35A-3 - Authority of attorney general or state's attorney to apply for order for interception of communications.
- Section 23A-35A-4 - Application to intercept communications--Form and contents.
- Section 23A-35A-5 - Circuit judge to authorize interception.
- Section 23A-35A-6 - Ex parte order authorizing wiretapping or eavesdropping--Probable cause required for entry.
- Section 23A-35A-7 - Contents of order.
- Section 23A-35A-8 - Cooperation and technical assistance required of carriers, landlords, and others--Compensation.
- Section 23A-35A-9 - Progress reports to issuing judge.
- Section 23A-35A-10 - Duration of order--Extensions.
- Section 23A-35A-11 - Authority for eavesdropping--Retention of orders and papers by applicant--Copy of order retained by judge.
- Section 23A-35A-12 - Sealing of applications and orders--Custody--Disclosure for good cause.
- Section 23A-35A-13 - Recording of intercepted communications if possible--Sealing of recordings.
- Section 23A-35A-14 - Disclosures to interested parties--Inspection of intercepted communications, application, or order--Postponement of notice.
- Section 23A-35A-15 - Disclosure of contents of intercepted communications among investigative or law enforcement officers.
- Section 23A-35A-16 - Appropriate use of contents of intercepted communication by investigative or law enforcement officer.
- Section 23A-35A-17 - Disclosure of contents of intercepted communication in court or grand jury proceeding.
- Section 23A-35A-18 - Interception of communications relating to offenses other than specified in order--Use of contents.
- Section 23A-35A-19 - Privileged communications.
- Section 23A-35A-20 - Overhearing or recording communications, conversations, or jury deliberations by means of eavesdropping device as felony.
- Section 23A-35A-21 - Exemptions from chapter.
- Section 23A-35A-22 - Use of pen register or trap and trace device without court order prohibited--Violation as misdemeanor.
- Section 23A-35A-23 - Application of prohibition to provider of wire or electronic communication service.
- Section 23A-35A-24 - Application for order authorizing use of pen register or trap and trace device.
- Section 23A-35A-25 - Contents of application.
- Section 23A-35A-26 - Issuance of ex parte order authorizing use of pen register or trap and trace device.
- Section 23A-35A-27 - Contents of ex parte order authorizing use of pen register or trap and trace device.
- Section 23A-35A-28 - Time limitation on use of pen register or trap and trace device--Extension.
- Section 23A-35A-29 - Order sealed--Disclosure of existence of pen register or trap and trace device prohibited.
- Section 23A-35A-30 - Persons required to assist installation of pen register.
- Section 23A-35A-31 - Installation of trap and trace device--Assistance--Results given to law enforcement officer.
- Section 23A-35A-32 - Reasonable compensation for assistance.
- Section 23A-35A-33 - Persons providing assistance immune.
- Section 23A-35A-34 - Good faith reliance on court order as complete defense.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Dakota may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.