2018 South Dakota Codified Laws
Title 47 - CORPORATIONS
Chapter 25A - Nonprofit Corporations--Domestication And Conversion
§ 47-25A-3 Domestication--Plan of domestication.
47-25A-3. Domestication--Plan of domestication. (a) A foreign nonprofit corporation may become a domestic nonprofit corporation only if the domestication is authorized by the laws of the foreign jurisdiction.
(b) A domestic nonprofit corporation may become a foreign nonprofit corporation if the domestication is permitted by the laws of the foreign jurisdiction. Regardless of whether the laws of the foreign jurisdiction require the adoption of a plan of domestication, the domestication must be approved by the adoption by the corporation of a plan of domestication.
(c) The plan of domestication must include:
(1) A statement of the jurisdiction in which the corporation is to be domesticated;
(2) The terms and conditions of the domestication;
(3) The manner and basis of canceling or reclassifying the memberships of the corporation following its domestication into memberships, obligations, rights to acquire memberships, cash, other property, or any combination of the foregoing; and
(4) Any desired amendments to the articles of incorporation or bylaws of the corporation following its domestication.
(d) The plan of domestication may also include a provision that the plan may be amended prior to filing the document required by the laws of this state or the other jurisdiction to consummate the domestication; except that, subsequent to approval of the plan by the members, the plan may not be amended without the approval of the members to change:
(1) The amount or kind of memberships, obligations, rights to acquire memberships, cash, or other property to be received by the members under the plan;
(2) The articles of incorporation to be in effect immediately following the domestication; or
(3) Any of the other terms or conditions of the plan if the change would adversely affect any of the members in any material respect.
(e) If any debt security, note or similar evidence of indebtedness for money borrowed, whether secured or unsecured, or a contract of any kind, issued, incurred or executed by a domestic nonprofit corporation before July 1, 2016 contains a provision applying to a merger of the corporation and the document does not refer to a domestication of the corporation, the provision shall be deemed to apply to a domestication of the corporation until such time as the provision is amended subsequent to that date.
Source: SL 2016, ch 221, § 18.