2012 South Dakota Codified Laws
Title 58 INSURANCE
Chapter 17F. Network Adequacy Standards
§58-17F-4 Health carrier to provide written information to prospective enrollees--Specific information required.
58-17F-4. Health carrier to provide written information to prospective enrollees--Specific information required. Any health carrier shall provide to any prospective enrollee written information describing the terms and conditions of the plan. If the plan is described orally, easily understood, truthful, objective terms shall be used. The written information need not be provided to any prospective enrollee who makes inquiries of a general nature directly to a carrier. In the solicitation of group coverage to an employer, a carrier is not required to provide the written information required by this section to individual employees or their dependents and if no solicitation is made directly to the employees or dependents and if no request to provide the written information to the employees or dependents is made by the employer. All written plan descriptions shall be readable, easily understood, truthful, and in an objective format. The format shall be standardized among each plan that a health carrier offers so that comparison of the attributes of the plans is facilitated. The following specific information shall be communicated:
(1) Coverage provisions, benefits, and any exclusions by category of service, provider, and if applicable, by specific service;
(2) Any and all authorization or other review requirements, including preauthorization review, and any procedures that may lead the patient to be denied coverage for or not be provided a particular service;
(3) The existence of any financial arrangements or contractual provisions with review companies or providers of health care services that would directly or indirectly limit the services offered, restrict referral, or treatment options;
(4) Explanation of how plan limitations impact enrollees, including information on enrollee financial responsibility for payment of coinsurance or other non-covered or out-of-plan services;
(5) A description of the accessibility and availability of services, including a list of providers participating in the managed care network and of the providers in the network who are accepting new patients, the addresses of primary care physicians and participating hospitals, and the specialty of each provider in the network; and
(6) A description of any drug formulary provisions in the plan and the process for obtaining a copy of the current formulary upon request. There shall be a process for requesting an exception to the formulary and instructions as to how to request an exception to the formulary. (SL 2012, ch 239, § 1 provides: "The provisions of chapter 219 of the 2011 Session Laws shall be deemed repealed if the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Pub. L. No. 111-148, 124 Stat. 119 (2010), as amended by the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010, Pub. L. No. 111-152, 124 Stat. 1029 (2010) is found to be unconstitutional in its entirety by a final decision of a federal court of competent jurisdiction and all appeals exhausted or time for appeals elapsed.")
Source: SL 2011, ch 219, § 4.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Dakota may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.