2011 South Dakota Code
Title 32 MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 03A. Title, Registration And Taxation Of Boats
§32-3A-11 Exemptions from numbering requirement.
32-3A-11. Exemptions from numbering requirement. A boat is not required to be numbered under this chapter if the boat is:
(1) A boat covered by a number still in effect which was awarded pursuant to federal law or a federally approved numbering system of another state, and the boat has neither:
(a) Been in this state for more than sixty consecutive days during any calendar year; nor
(b) Been subject to a contract for a berth for a period of more than sixty consecutive days during any calendar year in marina facilities located within this state;
(2) A boat from a country other than the United States temporarily using the waters of this state;
(3) A boat whose owner is the United States, a state, or subdivision thereof;
(4) A racing boat competing in a regatta or boat race approved by the Game, Fish and Parks Commission or operating during a period not to exceed forty-eight hours immediately preceding the race and the remainder of the race day; or
(5) A boat owned or operated by a person who is participating in a fishing tournament permitted by the Department of Game, Fish and Parks, provided the boat has been issued a temporary boat license valid in South Dakota for a period of ten consecutive days at a fee set by rules promulgated by the Game, Fish and Parks Commission pursuant to chapter 1-26.
Source: SL 1959, ch 125, § 6; SDC Supp 1960, § 25.1406; SL 1984, ch 279, § 7; SDCL § 42-8-10; SL 2001, ch 162, § 2; SL 2008, ch 150, § 1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Dakota may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.