There is a newer version of this Chapter
2021 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 56 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 9 - Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Act
ARTICLE 1 General Provisions
- Section 56-9-10. Short title.
- Section 56-9-20. Definitions.
- Section 56-9-30. Chapter inapplicable to certain motor vehicles.
- Section 56-9-40. Rights of conditional vendors, chattel mortgagees, or lessors not affected.
- Section 56-9-50. Sale of vehicle when registration suspended not affected.
- Section 56-9-60. Self-insurers for motor vehicles; determination of financial responsibility.
- Section 56-9-80. General penalties for violations of chapter.
- Section 56-9-90. Chapter as no bar to other remedies.
- Section 56-9-100. Chapter is supplemental and cumulative.
- Section 56-9-110. Reserved.
- Section 56-9-120. Construction.
- Section 56-9-330. Department of Motor Vehicles shall furnish abstracts of operating records; abstracts inadmissible as evidence.
- Section 56-9-340. Surrender of license and registration; failure to surrender.
- Section 56-9-350. Verification of insurance coverage form to be issued following certain accidents; effect of failure to return form; uninvestigated accidents.
- Section 56-9-351. Deposit of security by owner following accident; suspension of license, registrations, and notice.
- Section 56-9-352. Exceptions.
- Section 56-9-353. Type and terms of policy or bond.
- Section 56-9-354. Conditions for renewal of suspended license, registration, and operating privilege.
- Section 56-9-355. Driver or owner involved in accident may not obtain license or registration without compliance with article.
- Section 56-9-356. Transmittal of record of nonresident's suspension to officials in nonresident's state.
- Section 56-9-357. Suspension of resident's license and registration upon notice of suspension in another state.
- Section 56-9-358. Limit on security required; deposit.
- Section 56-9-359. Reduction of amount of security.
- Section 56-9-360. Security to be in custody of State Treasurer; applications to which security may be put; return.
- Section 56-9-361. Employment of suspended driver as operator of vehicle; employer's proof of financial responsibility.
- Section 56-9-362. Actions or findings of Department of Motor Vehicles and security as not constituting evidence of negligence.
- Section 56-9-363. Forms and affidavits substantiating claims for damages; driver's license suspension hearings; appeals.
- Section 56-9-410. Courts shall report nonpayment of judgments to Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Section 56-9-420. Report to home state of nonpayment of judgment against nonresident.
- Section 56-9-430. Suspension of driver's license or privilege and registration for nonpayment of judgment; special restricted driver's licenses.
- Section 56-9-440. Suspension of driver's license or privilege and registration for nonpayment of judgment; exception when judgment creditor consents.
- Section 56-9-450. Suspension of driver's license or privilege and registration for nonpayment of judgment; exception when insurance coverage proved.
- Section 56-9-460. Permitting driver subject to suspension to operate vehicle of employer.
- Section 56-9-470. Suspension to continue until judgment paid and financial responsibility proved; effect of discharge in bankruptcy.
- Section 56-9-480. Satisfaction of judgments; payments sufficient to satisfy requirements.
- Section 56-9-490. Installment payment of judgment; effect of default.
- Section 56-9-500. Suspension of registration upon suspension or revocation of license; continuation of suspensions until financial responsibility proved.
- Section 56-9-505. Waiver of financial responsibility requirements upon proof of payment of property tax.
- Section 56-9-510. Suspension or revocation of nonresident's operating privilege upon conviction to continue until financial responsibility proved.
- Section 56-9-520. Denial of license or registration upon certain convictions until financial responsibility proved.
- Section 56-9-530. Special exception for certain first convictions for driving without driver's license.
- Section 56-9-540. Methods of proving financial responsibility.
- Section 56-9-550. Certificate or notice of insurance as proof; contents, terms, and cancellation.
- Section 56-9-560. Certificate of insurance as proof; certificate furnished by nonresident; effect of default by unauthorized insurer.
- Section 56-9-570. Bond as proof; qualifications of sureties; bond as lien on real estate of individual sureties; action on bond.
- Section 56-9-580. Certificate of deposit of cash or securities as proof; amount; deposit held to satisfy judgment.
- Section 56-9-590. Owner may give proof for employee or member of household; restrictions on license.
- Section 56-9-600. Substitution of other adequate proof.
- Section 56-9-610. Other proof may be required; suspension pending filing of proof.
- Section 56-9-620. Cancellation or return of proof; waiver of requirements of filing proof.
- Section 56-9-630. Re-establishment of cancelled or returned proof.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.