2021 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 56 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 2 - Specialized Vehicles
Section 56-2-120. Title requirement; title applications by nonresidents; license plates.
(A) A low speed vehicle must be titled as specified in this title. The manufacturer's or importer's certificate of origin must identify clearly the vehicle as a low speed vehicle and must certify that the vehicle was manufactured in compliance with the equipment requirements for low speed vehicles in 49 C.F.R. Section 571.500. The State shall not issue vehicle identification numbers to homemade low speed vehicles, retrofitted golf carts, or any other similar vehicles, and these vehicles shall not qualify as low speed vehicles in this State.
(B) If the vehicle is owned by a nonresident, but is subject to issuance of a certificate of title in this State, the application must also contain his:
(1) full legal name, social security number, or, if the primary user does not have a social security number but has a passport, his passport number;
(2) driver's license number, whether the license was issued by this State or another jurisdiction;
(3) date of birth;
(4) bona fide principal residence address;
(5) address in this State where the low speed vehicle will be housed and used; and
(6) mailing address of the primary user of the vehicle. If the primary user is a firm, association, or corporation, the application must contain the business address and federal employer identification number of the primary user.
(C) A low speed vehicle must be registered and licensed in the same fashion as passenger vehicles pursuant to this title and is subject to the same insurance requirements applicable to other motor vehicles under this title.
(D) The Department of Motor Vehicles shall establish a special size and class of license plate for low speed vehicles that clearly identifies the vehicle as a low speed vehicle.
HISTORY: 2005 Act No. 170, Section 2, eff 6 months after approval by the Governor (approved June 7, 2005).