2020 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 56 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 31 - Rental Of Private Passenger Automobiles
Section 56-31-20. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Rental company" means a person in the business of providing private passenger automobiles or rental vehicles to the public under the terms of a rental agreement.
(2) "Renter" means a person obtaining the use of a private passenger automobile or rental vehicle from a rental company under the terms of a rental agreement.
(3) "Rental agreement" means a written agreement setting forth the terms and conditions governing the use of a private passenger automobile or rental vehicle provided by a rental company.
(4) "Damage" means a loss or damage to a rented vehicle or rental vehicle including the loss of use and costs and expenses incident to the damage, loss, and loss of use.
(5) "Private passenger automobile" or "vehicle" means a private passenger motor vehicle including passenger vans and minivans that are intended primarily for the transport of persons.
(6) "Rental vehicle" means a truck under 26,001 pounds gross vehicle weight and used in the transportation of personal property that is rented without a driver, and is not used by the customer for business purposes, or a trailer with a gross weight of not more than 6,000 pounds.
HISTORY: 1989 Act No. 177, Section 2; 2001 Act No. 37, Section 1.