2020 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 15 - Civil Remedies and Procedures
Chapter 3 - Limitation Of Civil Actions
Section 15-3-530. Three years.
Within three years:
(1) an action upon a contract, obligation, or liability, express or implied, excepting those provided for in Section 15-3-520;
(2) an action upon a liability created by statute other than a penalty or forfeiture;
(3) an action for trespass upon or damage to real property;
(4) an action for taking, detaining, or injuring any goods or chattels including an action for the specific recovery of personal property;
(5) an action for assault, battery, or any injury to the person or rights of another, not arising on contract and not enumerated by law, and those provided for in Section 15-3-545;
(6) an action under Sections 15-51-10 to 15-51-60 for death by wrongful act, the period to begin to run upon the death of the person on account of whose death the action is brought;
(7) any action for relief on the ground of fraud in cases which prior to the adoption of the Code of Civil Procedure in 1870 were solely cognizable by the court of chancery, the cause of action in the case not considered to have accrued until the discovery by the aggrieved party of the facts constituting the fraud;
(8) an action on any policy of insurance, either fire or life, whereby any person or property, resident or situate in this State, may be or may have been insured, or for or on account of any loss arising under the policy, any clause, condition, or limitation contained in the policy to the contrary notwithstanding; and
(9) an action against directors or stockholders of a monied corporation or a banking association to recover a penalty or forfeiture imposed or to enforce a liability created by law, the cause of action in the case not considered to have accrued until the discovery by the aggrieved party of the facts upon which the penalty or forfeiture attached or the liability was created, unless otherwise provided in the law under which the corporation is organized.
HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 10-143; 1952 Code Section 10-143; 1942 Code Sections 367, 388, 413; 1932 Code Sections 367, 388, 413; Civ. P. '22 Sections 331, 350, 369; Civ. C. '12 Section 3957; Civ. P. '12 Sections 137, 156; Civ. C. '02 Section 2853; Civ. P. '02 Sections 112, 130; 1870 (14) 447 Section 114, 450 Section 132; 1891 (20) 1042; 1903 (24) 96; 1977 Act No. 182, Section 1; 1988 Act No. 391, Section 2; 1988 Act No. 432, Section 1; 2001 Act No. 102, Section 1.
The limitations period was reduced from 6 to 3 years in 1988.