2020 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 12 - Taxation
Chapter 4 - The South Carolina Department Of Revenue
Section 12-4-320. Permissive powers and duties; rules, regulations, rulings, decisions; agreement or compromise as to taxpayer liabilities.
The department may:
(1) make rules and promulgate regulations, not inconsistent with law, to aid in the performance of its duties. The department may prescribe the extent, if any, to which these rules and regulations must be applied without retroactive effect;
(2) upon written application, determine the tax effects of transactions and the tax liability of taxpayers, upon facts furnished to it, and it may revoke or modify the rulings if the facts should develop differently later. The department, in its discretion, may publish these rulings. This publication may be in brief hypothetical form so as to give all pertinent facts and decisions without violating the provisions of Section 12-54-240;
(3) compromise any tax, interest, or penalty imposed by this title or other law assigned to it and may return to the owner, in whole or in part, any goods seized or confiscated;
(4) enter into a written agreement with a person with regard to a tax liability. If the agreement is approved by the director, it is final and conclusive and the case may not be reopened by administrative or judicial action or otherwise, except in cases of fraud, malfeasance, or misrepresentation;
(5) publish its findings and decisions in all controversies resolved by it. This publication may be in brief hypothetical form so as to give all pertinent facts, decisions, and reasons without violating the provisions of Section 12-54-240;
(6) for damage caused by war, terrorist act, or natural disaster or service with the United States armed forces or national guard in or near a hazard duty zone, extend the date for filing returns, payments of taxes, collection of taxes, and conducting audits, and waive interest and penalties;
(7) enter into an installment payment agreement with a taxpayer.
HISTORY: 1991 Act No. 50, Section 2; 1994 Act No. 516, Section 26; 1999 Act No. 114, Section 4; 2007 Act No. 110, Section 36, eff June 21, 2007; 2007 Act No. 116, Section 42, eff June 28, 2007, applicable for tax years beginning after 2007.