2019 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 44 - Health
Chapter 79 - Physical Fitness Services Act
Section 44-79-20. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Physical fitness services" means facilities or services for the development of physical fitness through exercise or weight control. The term includes the facilities and services of health or exercise centers, clubs, studios, or classes; health spas; weight control centers, clinics, or studios; figure salons; tanning centers; and athletic or sport clubs. It does not include rehabilitative therapy administered by a licensed physical therapist.
(2) "Customer" or "member" means a person who contracts for the use of physical fitness services.
(3) "Major facility" means swimming pool, whirlpool, tennis courts, racquet or handball courts, indoor or outdoor track, gymnasium with exercise equipment, calisthenic room, or similar collection of physical fitness equipment.
(4) "Major service" means locations which have offices, treatment rooms, or counseling rooms but no major facilities and other treatments, visits, or sessions to reduce and control weight.
(5) "Center" means any person or organization which, for profit, offers physical fitness services, whether at multiple outlets bearing the same name or a single outlet. Any subsidiary of a center, operating under the same name and offering such services, is a part of the center.
(6) "Outlet" means a separate location of a center which is not physically connected with another center but which uses the same name.
(7) "Administrator" means the administrator of the South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs.
HISTORY: 1985 Act No. 165, Section 1; 1989 Act No. 69, Section 1.