2018 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 62 - South Carolina Probate Code
ARTICLE 5 - PROTECTION OF PERSONS UNDER DISABILITY AND THEIR PROPERTY
Section 62-5-705. Requests to court of another state; requests from court of another state.
Section effective until January 1, 2019. See, also, Section 62-5-705 effective January 1, 2019.
(A) In a guardianship or protective proceeding in this State, the court may request the appropriate court of another state to do any of the following:
(1) hold an evidentiary hearing;
(2) order a person in that state to produce evidence or give testimony pursuant to procedures of that state;
(3) order that an evaluation or assessment be made of the respondent;
(4) order an appropriate investigation of a person involved in a proceeding;
(5) forward to the court a certified copy of the transcript or other record of a hearing pursuant to item (1) or another proceeding, evidence otherwise produced pursuant to item (2), and an evaluation or assessment prepared in compliance with an order pursuant to item (3) or (4);
(6) issue an order necessary to assure the appearance in the proceeding of a person whose presence is necessary for the court to make a determination, including the respondent or the incapacitated or protected person; and
(7) issue an order authorizing the release of medical, financial, criminal, or other relevant information in that state, including protected health information as defined in 45 C.F.R. Section 164.504.
(B) If a court of another state in which a guardianship or protective proceeding is pending requests assistance of the kind provided in subsection (A), the court has jurisdiction for the limited purpose of granting the request or making reasonable efforts to comply with the request.
HISTORY: 2010 Act No. 213, Section 1, eff January 1, 2011.