2018 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 62 - South Carolina Probate Code
ARTICLE 5 - PROTECTION OF PERSONS UNDER DISABILITY AND THEIR PROPERTY
Section 62-5-517. Document or writing deemed to comply with requirements of this part.
(a) A document or writing containing the following provisions is deemed to comply with the requirements of this part:
(1) the name and address of the person who meets the requirements of Section 62-5-503 and is authorized to make health care related decisions if the principal becomes mentally incompetent;
(2) the types of health care related decisions that the health care agent is authorized to make;
(3) the signature of the principal;
(4) the signature of at least two persons who witnessed the principal's signature and who meet the requirements of Section 62-5-503; and
(5) the attestation of a notary public.
(b) Additionally, a document that meets the above requirements and also provides expressions of the principal's intentions or wishes with respect to the following health care issues authorizes the health care agent to act in accordance with these provisions:
(1) organ donations;
(2) life-sustaining treatment;
(3) tube feeding;
(4) other kinds of medical treatment that the principal wishes to have or not to have;
(5) comfort and treatment issues;
(6) provisions for interment or disposal of the body after death; and
(7) any written statements that the principal may wish to have communicated on his behalf.
HISTORY: 1992 Act No. 306, Section 1; 2005 Act No. 172, Section 1; 2006 Act No. 365, Section 1; 2008 Act No. 303, Sections 2, 3, eff June 11, 2008; 2010 Act No. 244, Section 41, eff June 7, 2010; formerly 1976 Code Section 62-5-504; 2016 Act No. 279, Section 2, eff January 1, 2017.